Most of us spend the majority of our lives at work, which can combine between, full time, part time, agency or shift work. Sometimes it can be easy to forget about your Mental Wellbeing at work when your so focused on your career and your goals for the future. In saying this it’s so important to take care of your Mental Wellbeing, because Mental Health problems can affect your daily functioning (social and occupational). If you feel that your Mental Wellbeing is deteriorating, hopefully this post will help you look into taking care of this situation.
Let’s use an example;
Your in an amazing Full time job, great pay (bills are covered), fun colleagues (good social life) but your responsibilities are very demanding and causing your stress, making you feel mentally drained, ill and your not feel like yourself lately. What do you do ?
Focusing on this example, the most concerning element is, your job making you feel ill, mentally drained and your not feeling your normal self. Sometimes you may get these signals and think nothing of this, but generally this is your trigger for yourself, telling you that maybe something needs to change. Something that you love doing, in which you are skilled in shouldn’t be making you feel ill or mentally drained because this then defeats the purpose of your hard work.
Below are some steps that may be able to help you think about the next steps you could take if your having trouble with the example above or something similar.
- Reflect on how your job is making you feel (write down your thoughts).
- Write down the pros and cons to how your feeling.
- Is how your feeling impacting your work performance.
- Have others started to notice and decline in your performance.
- Think about how long you haven’t been feeling like yourself (feeling ill) and whether you are managing this appropriately.
- Have you thought about communicating how your feel to your manager or occupational health.
- Are you aware of your employments healthcare policy.
- Have you tried speaking to your General Practitioner.
Going through there steps may help you to reflect and think about possible ways you maybe able to help yourself. It’s so important to not suffer in silence and to reflect every so often on how your feeling. Always remember to keep in touch with yourself and be kind to your mind. Pay attention to any change that may be detrimental to your health.
Thank you for reading, I hope that this post was able to help or inspire you if you maybe experiencing difficulties at work. Shar x